Love's In Need Of Love Today

2.20.2011



I am a music junkie to the max. Growing up, I would spend the weekends at my cousin's house,
where I older cousin would teach me how to slide like James Brown and I in turn would show
him how to moonwalk like Michael. Those days were filled with so much laughter, excitement from
the anticipation of seeing Michael's latest video, and a soundtrack that consisted of music from the
60's to present day.

Outside of Michael, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye are my other favorite male artists. When I
was in middle school and every one else listened to Immature, Jodeci, SWV, etc., I had Stevie
Wonder, The Gap Band, Zapp & Roger, and a collection of Motown artists coming through my
stereo. I loved everything about the 70's-- the way people dressed, talked, and especially the how
the struggles & triumphs of black people were expressed through music. Stevie Wonder, a little kid
from Michigan, born blind & more than likely pitied by others because he was blind, is a treasure among
the sea of talented artists I've come to know. Stevie once said "“Sometimes, I feel I am really blessed to
be blind because I probably would not last a minute if I were able to see things.” Without eyes, he gave.

Songs in the Key of Life was released 7 years before I was born and yet, it is an album that I play
repeatedly. It is still recognized as his most accomplished album, certified Diamond in 1977 with a string
on singles that topped the Billboard charts for 14+ weeks, and ranking 56th on Rolling Stone's 500
Greatest Albums of All Time. Out of all the tracks that I adore & can match to certain events that have
 taken place during my 27 years, from birthday parties to family gatherings, no song means more to me
 than Love's In Need Of Love Today:

Good morn or evening friends /Here's your friendly announcer /I have serious news to pass on to
every-body /What I'm about to say /Could mean the world's disaster /Could change your joy and
laughter to tears and pain /It's that /Love's in need of love today /Don't delay /Send yours in right
away /Hate's goin' round /Breaking many hearts /Stop it please /Before it's gone too far /The force
of evil plans /To make you its possession /And it will if we let it /Destroy ev-er-y-body /We all must
take /Precautionary measures /If love and please you treasure /Then you'll hear me when I say /Oh
that /Love's in need of love today /love's in need of love today /Don't delay /don't delay /Send yours
in right away /right a-way /Hate's goin' round /hate's goin' round /Breaking many hearts /break-ing
hearts /Stop it please /stop it please /Before it's gone too far /gone too far...
People you know that
Love's in need of love today
love's in need of love today
Don't delay
don't de-lay

Bless you Stevie...Bless you Michael...Bless you Marvin. Bless you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, i love the lyrics. Love love them. I'm not a Stevie Wonder fan- i must know just maybe 3 of his songs. But i'm going to look for this one. I was one of those listening to Immature, Jodeci, and SWV hehe

Adiya

Candace said...

It is such a beautiful, spiritual album...I usually listen to it when I am in need of inspiration.

Post a Comment