Poem

3.01.2011



I wrote this while listening to The Roots "You got Me," inspired by beautiful "in your face,
in love" couples who have a strong hold on their individual selves. They are friends first and
always, lovers to the end.


Love Reminder

I had once forgotten
that love was not a hello and a goodbye
or a you versus me or constant sound
of your please baby
baby don't leave.


I had once forgotten
that it was much greater than lust
till you came
brushing away blues from under
momma's old rug
and under my thick-soled shoes.


And when Motown came through
brothas with funky fros bumpin hips
and lips with sistas 
in unison
singing "ain't no mountain high enough"
"ain't no valley low enough"
I asked my God to take me
to a valley
where you be.


where we breathe
talk deep heavenly thangs,
in harmony.


I had once forgotten
that love is a big wig meeting
between two heavy weight champs
that walked away holding hands.


that's real.


-Copyrighted 2011. Candace Bailey.

0 comments:

Post a Comment