Homemade Deodorant

1.21.2011


I actually made this blog post in 2010, but thought it would be better to publish it closer to Spring. This is the first of many DIY posts. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment.

Why would I do a DIY on homemade deodorant?

Deodorant, from brands such as Secret, Dove, Degree (and more--most of which are sold at grocery stores) contain aluminum, a metal that when "absorbed through the skin of the armpit, results in ultimate accumulation of high levels of this metal in the brain," according to the World Health Organization. It has also been linked to diseases such as cancer, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

Natural deodorants from Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and other natural health/orgranic supermarkets do not contain aluminum, but the effectiveness of the deodorant is poor and in my opinion, there is nothing worse than having smelly pits (ha ha). So, I decided to make my own deodorant.

Here is what you will need:

1 cup coconut oil
2 teaspoons each lavender and sweet almond oil
1/4 cup each cornstarch and baking soda

*Use less baking soda (more cornstarch) if you have sensitive skin.

You will also need an empty deodorant container. I used a Secret container, which I had to practically rip apart with a knife to open.


Mixing it was fairly easy and I added less/more to get the right consistency. To test it, just dip your finger in the mixture and rub it on your skin. It should rub on like a light powder.


Once you're done mixing, pour the mixture in the container. I put my container in the fridge afterwards to harden it a little bit and took it out after 30 minutes. If the mixture is too runny, just put it in the fridge each day.

Peace & Light.

0 comments:

Post a Comment